"..Let this house not only be a shelter for remnants of the past, but moreso their dwelling place."
(excerpt from E. L. Sukenik’s speech at the dedication ceremony of the Museum, April 3, 1941)
The Institute of Archaeology occupies a building composed of three structures. Two of them, the Student Club and the Museum for Jewish Antiquities, were built before the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948, while a new wing was added with the return of the Institute to the Mount Scopus campus after the Six Day War in 1967.
The exhibit traces this development and the alternative venues where archaeological research of the Institute was conducted throughout Jerusalem until the return to Mount Scopus.
Read more about the history of the building here.