Precisely 75 years ago, on November 29th, 1947, Prof. Eleazar Sukenik, the founder of our institute, purchased three scrolls that were discovered by Bedouins in Qumran, in the northern Judean Desert. Sukenik immediately realized the importance of the discovery and the dating of the scrolls to the days of the Second Temple. Additional scrolls were later purchased by his son, Prof. Yigael Yadin, and the site in Qumran was excavated by Father Roland de Vaux from the French School of Biblical and Archaeological Research.
17 June, 2019
Come raise a toast to the nine new Doctors of the Institute, June 17th at 15:45 at the entrance to the Institute of Archaeology (top floor)