Institute of Archaeology Institute of Archaeology
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
About the Institute Academic Programs Departments & Units People Excavations Events & Seminars Exhibits Publications Library
Current Projects
Past Exhibitions
 - The City of David
 - The Story of Masada
 - House of the Bronzes
 - The Hasmonean Winter Palaces in the Jericho Valley
 - From Scythopolis to Beisan
 - From Abraham to Jesus
 - The Masada Museum in Memory of Yigael Yadin
 - The Birth of Christianity
 - The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Bible

Exhibitions

House of the Bronzes:
A Treasure of Metal Objects from the Fatimid Period in Tiberias
Curator: Gila Hurvitz

Institute of Archaeology Exhibition Hall - June 1999


Approximately 1000 bronze objects were discovered inside three large storage jars exposed in Tiberias during excavations of the Institute of Archaeology, under the co-direction of the late Professor Yizhar Hirschfeld and Dr. Oren Gutfeld.



Jammed inside two of these jars was a spectacular treasure trove of bronze objects, parts of vessels, pieces of metal, metal scrap that was prepared for remelting, coins, and one glass object.
One coin of Michael VII (1071-1078 CE) sets the end of the Fatimid period as the latest date of this treasure. The architectural remains are indicative of the city's sophisticated urban planning and economic prosperity at this time; historical sources inform us that Tiberias boasted many marketplaces and industries that also served the surrounding villages, and it was also known for its therapeutic springs.


The late Professor Yizhar Hirschfeld during excavations in Tiberias
(photo by Gabi Laron)



Storage jar found in situ
(photo by Gabi Laron)


Detail of a lampshade with a lace design. Copper alloy. 11th century CE
(photo by Gabi Laron)

Although the material culture in Tiberias is not mentioned explicitly in these sources, this treasure joins four others, also containing jewelry and gold coins, discovered in the city's excavations in recent decades.

Many questions arise as to who the owner of this cache was and the reason it was placed inside the storage jars. Archaeologists at the Institute are investigating the answers to these questions through careful examination of the objects in their historical context.


The single glass bottle discovered in the hoard together with two copper-alloy vessels
(photo by Gabi Laron)