Institute of Archaeology Institute of Archaeology
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
About the Institute Academic Programs Departments & Units People Excavations Events & Seminars Exhibits Publications Library
Prehistoric Archaeology
Archaeology of the Biblical Period
  Staff & Students
Classical Archaeology
Civilizations of the Ancient Near East

Computerized Archaeology
Restoration & Conservation
Graphic Documentation
Collections

Prof. Trude Dothan

Biography:


Born in Vienna, Prof. Dothan was a year old when she arrived in Jerusalem with her parents, Grete, a painter and Leopold Krakauer, architect and graphic artist.

After graduating high school at Gymnasia Rehavia, she began her studies in archaeology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem on Mt. Scopus in the mid-forties. She started her excavating career at Beth Yerah (Khirbet Kerak) in 1945-46, an experience that eventually evolved into her M.A. thesis on the Khirbet Kerak pottery (1950). Her studies were interrupted by military service in the IDF during the War of Independence (1948-50). While still in uniform, she joined the excavation at Tell Oasile, her first "hands-on" confrontation with the Philistine culture. Since then the quest of the Philistines and the intercultural relations between the ancient nations of the Mediterranean have been the leitmotifs of her academic career.

In 1961 Trude Dothan was awarded her Ph.D. from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, having studied with Professors E.L. Sukenik, B. Mazar and Y. Yadin. She then undertook postgraduate studies (1951-52) with Professor Helene Kantor at the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago, who became a major influence in her career. From there she continued at the Institute of Archaeology in London (1953), where she came in contact with Professors Kathleen Kenyon and Olga Tufnell.

Trude Dothan has been on the academic staff of the Institute of Archaeology at the Hebrew University since 1962. She dug at Hazor (1952, 1955-60) with Prof. Yigael Yadin and coordinated the excavations at Ein Gedi (1961-62) with Prof. Benjamin Mazar. From there she went to dig at Athienou, Cyprus (1971-72), an excavation that she conducted with Prof. Amnon Ben-Tor, and at Deir el-Balah (1972-82) where she unearthed a Egyptian-Canaanite military outpost along with a 13th-century BCE cemetery with a large assemblage of anthropoid clay coffins. Her next major excavation (1982-96) was co-conducted with Prof. Seymour Gitin of the Albright Institute at Tel Miqne/Ekron, a well-planned, highly cultured and industrialized city that belonged to the Philistine Pentapolis.

Prof. Dothan has served as chairman of the Department of Archaeology (1977-82) and has been the head of the Philip & Muriel Berman Center for Biblical Archaeology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem since its inception in1990.

As a visiting professor Prof. Dothan has taught at Princeton University, Brown University, the University of California in Berkeley and the New York Institute of Fine Arts. She is a member of the Israel Museum’s Board of Directors.

Trude Dothan is the recipient of the Israel Museum's Percia Schimmel Award for distinguished contribution to the archaeology of the Land of Israel (1991); the Israel Prize in Archaelogy for her contribution to the research and knowledge of the material culture of the Land of Israel in Biblical times (1998); and the Hadassah Woman of Distinction Award (1999). In 1999 the Dorot Foundation established an annual lecture series in her name under the auspices of three academic institutions in Jerusalem, the W.F. Albright Institute of Archaeological Research, the Hebrew University and al-Quds University, aimed at promoting and advancing the dialogue between students and scholars from Israeli, Palestinian and foreign academic communities in Jerusalem.

Prof. Trude Dothan married Moshe Dothan (1919-99), himself a renowned archaeologist, in 1950. Their sons are Danny, a singer, writer, television producer and father of Leni and Shasha, and Uri, a computer artist and father of Laurella and Damella.

Field Experience:
1949 Registrar, En Gedi excavations
1949-50 Registrar, Tell Qasile excavations
1952 Field supervisor, Hazor excavations
1955-60 Field archaeologist, supervisor of Areas C, G and H, Hazor excavations
1961-62 Co-director, En Gedi excavations
1968 Tell Aitun cemetery excavations
1971-72 Athienou excavations, Cyprus, co-directed with A. Ben-Tor
1971-82 Director, Deir el-Balah excavations
1981-96 Tel Miqne-Ekron excavations, co-directed with S. Gitin